Monday, June 20, 2011

Lessons Learned in the Quest for Spiritual Growth

Our journey constantly continues. Our educational quest is now a quest for spiritual growth. It has brought many joys, trails and suprises along the way. But, the truth has set us free. Daily reading and studying of the scriptures has ensured that there will be no misunderstandings, no chance of misinterpretations. I told my kids one day about my childhood misinterpretation of the phrase: " And the meek shall inherit the earth", they laughed and said, " Mom, I can't believe that you thought that!" . God is good, isn't He? It is our duty as parents that our children should grow up knowing the Lord. There should be no doubt about His commandments to us.

"Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home, and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give to your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth." Deut. 11:19-21.
J.R. Tolkien once wrote "Life is a journey, one that we all must take." In having shared my journey with you it is my hope that you will in turn share your journey with others. I truely believe that we learn about God from each other. Sometimes, it is easier to see God working in someone else's life than it is in our own. I wasn't sure I had much to write about until I began to write, hen I found that the Lord has done SO MUCH in my life. I am learning about Him all the time, from all of my church family, friends, immediate family, from scripture, even from my children.
By proclaiming my faith in God in this way I have taken the next step in the journey. I have found that I cannot expect others to do things that I cannot. How can I teach my children to stand up for their faith if I don't do it first? How can I be a light in a non-believer's life, if I live my spiritual life in the closet? It all starts right here, with me. It is an AWESOME journey, and the rewards of being in the Sweet Spot of God's Grace are great!
I praise God for whatever journey He has set before each of you, and pray that He will be a light unto your path.

No comments: